Sunday, January 18, 2009

Long Run after lay-off


Twelve miles yesterday. I'm not sure I've gone about this in a smart manner. I need to be a bit more intelligent and thoughtful about how I'm running.

As expected, I got one of my three programmed runs in last week. I was away the first portion, and just not in a good spot to run. Where the lack of smarts comes in is the week before. The previous week was a recovery week: three short easy runs. Last week was a mileage building week: long run (12 miles-which I accomplished), a tempo run (6 miles) and a short easy run (2 miles). If I'd been a thinking man, I would have run last weeks program two weeks ago, and used the travel week as the recovery week, thereby not missing the speed work. I'll need to keep this in mind.

As for yesterday's run, it went as well as could be expected. I didn't quite hit the goal pace (12 miles at 10:04-I did 12.1 at 10:34. I think, looking at the graph it was the end that really did me in. I felt slow during the last 2 miles or so. Just like I had to keep pushing the pace to get anywhere. (The fact that it was almost all uphill probably didn't help matters much.)

As you might discern from above, I'm not too happy with the run from yesterday. My legs are still quite sore. I'm hoping it's due to the one week layoff.

It was busy out there yesterday. In and around a park area there was significant traffic on the foot paths. Everyone from kids in strollers up to people so old I was surprised they could still get around and walk. The down side was, I had to wait to pass people sometimes. It was also very muddy (but luckily not icy). This is probably related to the fact that I ran in mid-afternoon, instead of early morning.

On the Paris front: I am now in possession of my medical certificate. That means the only thing between me and Paris is training.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

12 miles...nice! And not too far off your target pace...especially since you had lap traffic. Paris will be great for you!