Saturday, October 6, 2007

Goals

This is in partial response to Sagey's comment(s) to my last post. I have been running, just not writing about it every time. Just look to see why. I've taken to tracking my running on line using the on line training log offered by Runner's World.com. I've been doing this for a while, I just haven't been advertising it. The early runs aren't necessarily complete, but they are all I could rescue from my old method of tracking runs.

As you can see if you look, there's a glaring hole from mid-August through mid-September. This is what happens when you move. So I've tried to get back into the running again. I think I've done a reasonably good job over the past week.

There were a couple of things to get over. I forgot my watch (as mentioned in an earlier post). That wasn't too hard to overcome, and the lovely wife has sent ti to me, which I really appreciate. The bigger difference is the weather. Having just moved from England, this has been a huge change. England had a really wet summer this year. The temperature usually averaged at most about 24 of 25 (that's about 75F for those who don't do C) at the time of day I was running. When I got here to DC it was a touch warmer. About 32 (90F) the first day. It took a bit of getting used to to run in that weather. I think I've gotten over it though. I ran last night and it was 30 (87F) and I didn't think it was that hot. I guess that's a good sign.

I've managed to start working some different speeds back into my work 0uts as well. This is a good thing as I do have another goal to look forward to: The Marine Corps Marathon 10k. I had some initial intentions to try the Marathon. If, however, you look at the work I was able to put in during the summer, this would have been a huge mistake. I've never done a marathon before, and I think to try one without a real training plan would have been a bad idea. So I'm going to do the 10k, and for a good cause. The marathon will have to wait.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What would you do without your lovely wifey :o)

Sagey said...

I am glad you are still out running. I just wanted to harass you a bit since I just found out about your blog. :-)

Loping Squid said...

CC: I can't bear the thought!

S: I get enough from above. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Was recommended to your blog by Kevin. Just wanted to wish you luck sunday at the MCM 10k. I'll be there doing the full, in hopes of surviving it. Keep pushin' on!