Tuesday, October 9, 2007

More Reasons to Run

So, I'm back at school for a little while. This is besides the point, except that it explains a couple of things: 1) I'm away from the family for a while, 2) I have to fend for myself for food and my lodging only has a micorwave. Needless to say, I've been eating out a bit for lunch.

How, my dear reader you may ask, does this apply to this blog? This is how. This one location may single-handedly destroy my fitness plans! Why? Because this is the only chain restaurant I have found on the east coast that comes anywhere near In-n-Out for burgers.

I have a a running joke with my Mother and Father-in-law that the only reason I really want to come out to visit is to get an In-n-Out burger. Now, whether that's true or not is irrelevent ;-) But they are great burgers.

The two restaurants have a lot in common. Their menus are very simple: basically, burgers, fries and little else. But, do they ever do it right! They're both pristinely clean and very friendly (not your typical "ya want fries wit dat?" kind of place). What sets them apart? Well aside from a continent you can get a hotdog from 5-Guys and a grilled cheese from In-N-Out. You can eat fresh peanuts in the shell while you wait at 5-Guys and you can order a milk shake at In-N-Out. In-N-Out also has the ultra-cool secret menu.

Today I managed to put away a Bacon double cheese burger and fries, and it was just magnificent.

So, whats the bottom line? I'm pretty sure the fries are better at In-N-Out. But the burgers? It's close. It's really close. But I think the burgers at 5-Guys might be a bit better. (That could of course be because I just ate one.)

Comments please!!! (Especially those who contend that there are other burger places that can compete.)

4 comments:

blunoz said...

I agree, it's a tough call. Incidentally, there was a really interesting article about 5-Guys in the Washington Post a couple of years ago. They resisted the franchise operation for many years, and when they did finally agree to franchise, they stipulated that you could only open a 5-Guys franchise if you agreed to open FIVE stores. More interesting than that though, they're totally anal retentive about how the burgers have to be cooked, what order the pickles, onions, tomatoes have to be put on, etc. The cooks are only allowed to push down on the burger on the grill ONCE - otherwise it loses too much of the juices.

Anyway, getting back to your question... The peanuts at 5-Guys don't really do anything for me. I agree I like In-N-Out fries better, and I LOVE the shakes at In-N-Out. The burgers are a tough call though. I still think In-N-Out is better overall, but in the absence of an In-N-Out, 5-Guys was a "suitable substitute" while we lived in DC.

Anonymous said...

Oh, see what's happening here - he's drawing me out! He knows I have to defend my beloved In-n-Out. But since I've never had a Five Guys burger, I guess I will give him the benefit of the doubt...

Sagey said...

Okay, haven eaten at both and enjoyed both. I have to vote for In-N-Out as well. I think it actually has something to do with the onions at In-N-Out. ;-) But 5 Guys is a very close second for me. But if there were 2 right near each other, I would go to In-N-Out.

On a side note, my biggest problem with 5 Guys is the noise level. Way too loud inside! In-N-Out can be just as busy but somehow the acoustics are better so the sound doesn't resonate in your brain.

BTW, 5 guys also has grilled cheese. That is what our little one ate when we went there.

Loping Squid said...

Sagey, I stand corrected on the Grilled cheese. The 5-guys here in Arlington isn't too noisy, even though it's a little busy.

Onions. Hmmm. I like them, just keep them off my burger. Probably why I didn't notice the difference. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to burgers: bun, meat, cheese. Too much more and you start messing with a good thing. Plus, lettuce and all that just take up space in your belly that should be filled with burgers and fries.