Friday, October 19, 2007

All (Flying) Creatures Great and Small

So, through a comedy of errors I was forced to run later than usual last night.


ORM: There is a nice footpath that runs along the river, it's relatively well lit. I only need to cross two low-traffic roads that are well illuminated. I need the speed work before next weekend's race and I probably won't run too much this weekend. Call it a taper if you will. Or call it lazy if you won't.


So off I went in the waning day light/dusk/almost dark. No problem. At the outset. Upon arrival on the footpath all continued per the plan. I even manged to pass another runner (something I very, very rarely do). Only one thing. If you had been watching me run, I would excuse you for thinking I have a tick or that I just have to wipe each bead of sweat from my brow as it forms. But no, that wasn't it. It was insects (little green ones, but I'll get to that later). Under every light and near every tree was a swarm of insects.


As the run went progressed I tried several tactics to deal with this airborne menace. I ran on the far edge of the footpath, as near as I dared to the slippery slope into the river. I tried shading my eyes as I passed suspicious trees. I tried turning my head to the side and squinting my lead eye. (I imagine quite an interesting site.) Nothing really worked and I figured I'd just have to deal with it. Towards the turn around point of my out and back run it was really bad. Must have something to do with this areas swampy past.

It got worse.

The little green ones weren't the only ones flying last night. Our friendly neighborhood jarheads decided it was time to go flying. So just after I turned back I was buzzed by a large green one. So as I shielded my ears from the infernal noise - obviously distracted - a little green one decided it was time to strike. Right into my left eye. I was none too pleased. I tried every trick I could think of to get it out, blinking, squinting, you name it. Eventually I just had to stop for a bit and try to get it out. Eventually, all in order, I continued.

As I was stretching in my room post run, my eye started bugging me again. Figuring something was afoot I took a look. What do you know, the little bugger was still in there. Green, winged, certainly dead, but still in there. I think he looked something like this.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much. I seem to recall my Dad catching a bee in the mouth while running one time.

My apologies to James Herriot.

1 comment:

blunoz said...

Man, as much as I loved living in VA, I do NOT miss the BUGS!!!