Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Music

I usually don't use an ipod when I run. Firstly, I'm too cheap to buy an ipod. I've just got a generic run-of-the-mill mp3 player. Secondly, I like to listen to what's going on around me, and have a little inner monologue when I run (except when I'm in the gym at work where they play some of the most atrocious music ever made and I feel the need to try to blot out the sonic weapon of mass destruction that surrounds me, but that's a different story).
I ran today for the first time in too long. I'm calling it a 'planned rest'. Actually, it's just difficult to stay motivated during the summer break. I had planned to do some speed sessions over the weekend in preps for a 5k tomorrow. They just never materialized. I did a lot of active things, hiking, walking, gardening, just no running. Which makes me worry a little about the 5k tomorrow (but like music in the gym, that's a different story).

The sad thing is, the entire time I was running I had the same song in my head. Was it something inspiring? Something up-beat to keep me going? No, it was the theme song from Bits and Bobs. Yes, fatherhood is a wonderful thing. (For those of you who aren't familiar with the song, if you click on the 'fun and games' you can get an idea of what this is like going through your head...even if it isn't the theme song itself).

3 comments:

blunoz said...

I can totally relate, John. I frequently find myself with the theme song to Ballamory or Wonder Pets or the Backyardigans stuck in my head at work.
As for me, I use my non-iPod MP3 player (a Zen V-Plus) when I run on the treadmill on the boat. It's better than listening to the hum of the main engines.
I just got this MP3 player before leaving Norfolk for our long transit around to Hawaii, and I was so excited and loaded it up with lots of music off the Yahoo Music Jukebox website. It worked great for about two weeks. Then all the music I supposedly "purchased" off of Yahoo stopped playing. My MP3 player kept showing an error message that I had to sync it with my computer (connected to the internet) so that it could verify my license to listen to those songs was still valid. What a crock!!!
I wouldn't mind so much if my MP3 player would just SKIP over the songs that it thinks it's not allowed to play until it gets permission from Big Brother over the internet, but no, it just flashes the error message then STOPS.
It takes me a few seconds to realize that the music has stopped, pull the MP3 player around on my armband to see the screen and push the buttons to make it skip to the next song.
Anyway, when I'm in port and running outside, I'm like you in that I like to listen to what's around me and leave my MP3 player at home.

Loping Squid said...

I'm sure it's legal (I hope) but I just burn music from CDs I own onto my mp3 player.
I'm not a big fan of the iPod (maybe I just enjoy not following the bandwagon, or I don't want someone telling me what software I have to run, or maybe I am just too cheap?)

Long Live Ballamory! And Miss Hoolie with the clownesque hair!

Loping Squid said...

sorry, addition to above, I've got an RCA Lyra. Small memory but is expandable.