Thursday, August 2, 2007

I Love Hybrids

Being a bit tired of running essentially the same couple of routes from home I decided to hybridize. Combining the outbound leg of one run, inserting a bit of a bridge, then the homeward bound section of another I created a new route. Nothing earth shattering there.

It's strange though, the tricks your mind can play on you. I had it in my mind that it would be a 'long' run. (i.e. a bit longer than either of them on their own.) I didn't measure the new route before I went out. I just went and ran it. I was a bit happy when I got home and the time was relatively 'fast' for the length I thought it was. When I went to my trusty mapping website and measured it, I was very surprised. It was short. Much shorter than I thought. So, my 'fast/tempo' pace that I thought I was running, turned out to be not quite as fast as I'd hoped.

The strange part is, I really had it in my mind it was a 'long' run. Distance completely miscalculated. Run wasn't bad though.

(Sorry if anyone was hoping for a sermon on the virtues of hybrid cars. You won't find that here.)

2 comments:

blunoz said...

I was rather disappointed not to find a sermon on the virtues of hybrid cars. I must say that I LOVE my Toyota Camry Hybrid. I keep freaking people out because they don't hear me coming. The car is so quiet that people are surprised when they turn around and see a car driving up next to them all of a sudden. Now if only they would make cars with navigation systems in Hawaii... Anyway, I digress.

Do you not take your GPSr with you when you run? Whenever I run a new route, I take my GPSr with me to measure the mileage. I also like it because I can see what my pace is. I ran the Ford Island 10K yesterday and took my GPSr with me to keep track of how far along I was and what pace I was running.

If I'm running a route I already know well though, I'll leave my GPSr in the car or at home and just measure my time and compare it with the known distance.

Loping Squid said...

Really, I have nothing against hybrid cars. There's nothing I love more than saving the planet. Honest.
Jeremy Clarkson did a bit on hybrid cars a while back on topgear. I don't think they've got the video here but the link is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/episodes/series5episode7.shtml