Monday, July 16, 2007

Great Captial Run

I figure the race is worth a post.
This was my first 'big' race in some time. It was much bigger (obviously) than the local 5k from a few weeks ago (155 finishers). It was much more dynamic and therefore had lots more interaction with the 10,000 odd people they announced were starting the race.

I have to say it was great fun! Crowds, music, watching the elite runners screaming by in the other direction past 7k while I was trudging towards 3k (or what ever the exact distance was). OK, so that last bit was more humbling than anything, but I've never had any illusions about my running ability.

I was more than pleased with my time. I bested my 11 year old PB* by 3 minutes which gave immense personal satisfaction. I ran the whole race with one of my running mates from work which was a big morale booster especially when we both got slowed by cramps in the middle of the race. And it was great to have the family there cheering me on at the end.

Can't wait to run another!

Sunday: 6.22 miles
Monday: 3.91 miles (nice slow easy recovery run)
Tuesday: some time on the rowing machine...
This week: 10.13

*Full disclosure: number of 10k run between previous PB and this race: 0.

No comments: