Friday, July 13, 2007

The End

Although I didn't post yesterday I did run. The run itself was nothing particularly special, just a standard lunchtime stroll through the local housing estates. Not particularly fast. Not particularly long. Not particularly scenic. Just another run in the week before the 10k in London.

What made it different was that yesterday was the last run with my last normal running partner.

Adds a little touch of sadness to it, but I can't complain too much. Having running friends can, as I've learned, be a great thing. Motivation, a little competition and some serious cajoling when required. There were three 'regulars' who ran at least three days a week in almost any weather for the last year. Around this small group were about three or four others who joined on an 'occasional' basis. They became a bit of a marker. When we started, most of the 'occasionals' were a bit faster than I was. Quite a bit. In the 5k last week, I finished about half a minute ahead of one of them. Little things that warm your heart. (Of course, the other member of our regulars who ran beat me by several minutes so I'm not claiming too much of a victory.)

So, it's up to other things to keep me motivated to keep running. I'm moving myself soon (when and where is another story worthy of its own blog). I'll have to work much harder to maintain motivation. Any suggestions?

---

Today's run was fine. A short easy run along the waterfront: beautiful weather, not too crowded. If it weren't for the 10k on Sunday it would have been perfect whether for a long run.

Good news is, both feet feel fine.

---

By the way, found a lovely feature of Runners World's website. The online training log. This may solve my workout tracking problem. We'll see.

---

Kit: New socks. Wore a new pair of Nike FITDry running socks. Honestly didn't care for them too much. (Although it was just one run.) I found that they were too thin and altered the feel of my shoes, almost made them too big. I'll have to try another new pair of something else. (I've been directed to purge socks: holes, worn through, no elastic left...so I needed to replace some.)

Yesterday:3.82mi
Today:2.54mi
This week:16.0mi

1 comment:

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Nice to read your blog. No Seems like you get a lot from your running, and that's what many of us enjoy. I post with another running friend, Amy. We look forward to reading more of your site. Keep up the great running and posting!

Tom