Friday, July 4, 2008

Firecracker!

This morning I ran the local Fourth of July 5k. I'm quite pleased with the final results. Without any training for a 5k (only the half training to fall back on), I managed to best my previous PR for 5k by more than a minute. Which leads me to question the distance of the race. I'm not entirely sure it was really a full 5k. I'll measure it later but for now I'll bask in the glow of my success.

Even better, I finished 3rd overall in my age division (although, if the race was run last Saturday I would have finished 2nd) and 15th over all. The top two finishers were also the top two in my age group. They finished about 5 minutes before me. Still, I'm happy with the results.

Now, as for the organization. The roads weren't closed, but that didn't really matter because there wasn't any traffic to speak of, and the two spots were there might have been traffic there were police to keep the roads clear.

The issue was advertising. The only way I found out about it was the local "Fourth of July Events" flier. It was not advertised on the website where races are normally advertised. I'm kind of surprised they had the turn out they did (about 60).

As a temper to my happiness, I did get 'out-kicked' by a 14 year old. Again. Oh-well.


Update 5 July

Well, it was too good to be true. The race yesterday was only 4.74k, so my time wasn't as good as I'd thought. In fact, my pace was a hair slower than my previous PR, so I've "re-instated it".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate when the distances are off! What I thought was my 5k PR really isn't b/c its only a 3 mile race...so my trail run (how sad!) is my PR. Hey, at least you got out there and did it eh?

Loping Squid said...

Exactly. Although, these 'slightly off' distances are becoming a habit. This was the same group that organized the 5.35 mile 5 miler!