Monday, December 15, 2008

Silly Man. (again)

I went out today to inaugurate the 'official' training period for the Paris Marathon. It was scheduled to be 3 miles at 10:10 and I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I went out with a co-worker and we did 5 at about 9:15 instead.

Overall, it was a good run, until we ran into the woman and her dogs. We were running two abreast on a decently wide (yet snow and ice covered) paved trail. She was on our right with one dog, and the other dog over on the left. There was also an older couple about 5m behind her, also on the right.

Being a rational beast, my co-worker took early and decisive action and fell in behind me on the left of the trail. Which, of course meant that the woman took her one dog over to join the other on the left. Right in our way. I'm sure this is some German custom about only passing port-to-port.

So, this required us to jump back over to the right. At this point my foot slipped on the ice, causing me to crash down on my left hip, knee and of course, wrist. This despite the fact that on the way out (this was the return leg of an out-and-back) I made specific note of how icy this area was. And how I really wasn't looking forward to running down this slope with all the ice. And how if I did slip, the one thing I really didn't want to do was to try to catch my whole body weight with my hand. But, yes, that's exactly what I tried to do.

So, my wrist which was just about 100% from Thanksgiving. Is now sore again. Joy.

Let's just hope this isn't a bad omen for the whole marathon experience. Which, thanks to the vagaries of U.S. Military medicine, I'm still not medically cleared to run. But the doc specifically said not to stop what I was already doing. So, to me that means I'm still cleared to 13.

3 comments:

blunoz said...

Awww, man. That sucks. Sorry to hear about your spill. I hope your wrist heals quickly.

Simon Anderson said...

I found that wearing fell shoes works for running on ice as the rubber compound is designed for running down steep hills over wet rock surfaces.

By the way, I'm also doing the Paris Marathon and so have posted a link to your blog from mine. Seems we have quite a community going.

Best wishes,

Simon.

Anonymous said...

Oh geez! (although I wish my "not quite on pace" runs were like that!) Hope its feeling better at this point. Have you tried yak trax for snow/ice running?